Wednesday 21 October 2015

Cafe Rouge

We tried the newly refurbished Cafe Rouge in Cambridge.

Cafe Rouge breakfast menu

Troby:
We settled in and ordered coffees. Service was friendly and efficient. The place looks the same after refurbishment so far as I could see. I was last here about 15 years ago. Not that the decor is bad, it's the red curtain on the door, and french pictures one the wall style.
I'm currently on a hunt for good scrambled eggs - So I went for "L'Anglais" with scrambled. Brown toast wasn't an option. The coffee was fine.
The coffee was acceptable
Breakfast came in reasonable time. And was quite good. The sausage was tasty, bacon fine and I like my beans on 'on the side'. However the toast could have been more toasted, and the mushroom portion was just a nod towards a portion of mushrooms.
Mushrooms in hiding
The egg didn't look great
Not winning any beauty awards, but tasty
But actually tasted pretty good, and was well seasoned.

Overall not a bad breakfast. One of our party had various discount cards and schemes, and it turned out to be very good value for us that day, but at full price I think Cote just down the road is a bit better.
  • Food     3.5
  • Value    3
  • Service  4
  • Ambience 3.5
  • Coffee   3.5
Seefud:
I just fancied bacon and eggs. There was nothing majorly wrong with this breakfast but nothing really stands out as being that great either. The toast was a bit under done, but that's not a big deal. If I had to pick a highlight it would be the bacon, which, whilst fairly standard thin sliced smoked back bacon, was cooked to absolute perfection in my eyes. Crispy fat and juicy non-leathery meat.
Bacon and eggs

The ambience, service and coffee were fine, but again, nothing special. I didn't really expect much more from a chain like this though. The value was ok, but only with some discount deals. At full price I'd have been disappointed. If  you're in this area, it's got to be Cote I think.
  • Food     2.5
  • Value    3
  • Service  4
  • Ambience 3
  • Coffee   3

No comments:

Post a Comment