Monday 3 November 2014

Newhills Café

This used to be called Chapter 2, but now Newhills Cafe. We'd overlooked this before, but on a casual bacon roll stop (where free coffee was included) it was noticed that they did FRIED BREAD. So we had to give it a try.


Overall, this is a pretty good place. And great value if you arrive before 10am as the coffee will be included, so you're looking at a full English with coffee for about £5.45. There are a three breakfast options here: a large (which would be massive), a standard one with hash browns, but no tomato or mushroom, and a third option which I went for and added an extra black pudding portion. There's also a list of extras, including the fried bread. We didn't try swapping off ingredients, eg I would have prefered two bacon to the sausage, but with the list of extras the possibilites are mathematically endless.


Quality wise, I was pretty happy except for the black pudding being a bit underdone. I also had issues with the mushrooms, which appeared deep fried. I tried a bit of Seefud's fried bread, and it could have done with a little extra frying. It's quite a pleasant place to go though, with prompt service and friendly enough staff and I'll probably return now I know some of the parameters.

Troby
  • Food      3   
  • Value     4
  • Service   4
  • Ambience  3.5  
  • Coffee    3.5  
Seefud
This was a pretty good breakfast and not bad value at all. I had the smaller set breakfast to avoid hash browns, but added black pudding and fried bread. I also added coffee and orange juice and the total came to about £10.50 I think.

The bacon was nigh on perfect for me and the herby-economy+ sausage was fine. Beans were in a ramekin which was nice, but it was slightly on the small side (and I'm not even a massive fan of beans). Even though they were ring-style and either flipped or very heavily basted, the eggs were still nice and runny.

The tomato was pretty good, if not completely hot, but the good portion of mushrooms seemed a little on the deep fried side. I can't stand it when they overcook the black pudding, but actually here it could have benefited from an extra minute each side. I still enjoyed it though. I also added fried bread, a rarity in these parts, which was great but could also have done with slightly longer cooking.

The Orange juice came from a bottle in the chiller cabinet but I did get a glass. Coffee was nice enough but nothing special. Overall, this isn't a bad little place and I suspect we'll be back. You probably won't go out of your way to sample it, but if you're up Hills Road it's worth keeping in mind.
  • Food     3.5
  • Value    4
  • Service  3
  • Ambience 2.5
  • Coffee   3

No comments:

Post a Comment