Tuesday 26 April 2016

The Cornerstone Cafe

I was in the Mill Road area on the weekend, and saw a sign here saying "Best Breakfast in Mill Road - Butchers sausages". I was keen to try it out.
Cornerstone
http://www.papworthtrust.org.uk/locations/cornerstone-cafe
This is a cafe attached to St Phillips Church. Decor wise it's fairly basic, it has a community feel, with the kitchen in view, newspapers to read and rooms for hire with community stuff going on. But we came for breakfast!
Good value menu
The menu seems very reasonable. I went for a SET3 with added saute potatoes. I let my companion ride a small wave of order confusion. This is a pretty large breakfast for £5.75. We got black coffees.
Coffee was average
 The food came very quickly. I was hoping for good things.
The picture doesn't do the breakfast justice
There were many plus points about this breakfast. Many. A few negatives, the first being presentation - but it's a substance-over-style type affair. A bigger plate may have helped. Another issue was the bean contamination - but that's my mistake, I shouldn't have ordered them.
For the positives - It was piping hot - straight from the kitchen! The potatoes were really good. The sausage was a masterpiece, really well flavoured. Bacon was fine, and mushrooms were good. Tomato was present, but had become rather squashed and engulfed by the other ingredients. The eggs were also good, even though my eggs had suffered some "spatula rage". Seefud's plate was a bit better presented
Breakfast with black pudding
The toast was pre-buttered -  not to my liking. I prefer a dry crumb, and brown if possible, but still, now I know, I'll ask next time.
Pre-buttered toast
There will be a next time - There's an option to select breafast items for 75p - so I'll probably make my own options for a well valued tasty breakfast.
  • Food     4
  • Value    4.5
  • Service  3
  • Ambience 3
  • Coffee   3

No comments:

Post a Comment