Friday 27 June 2014

B.L.D's

https://plus.google.com/115891209603192001776/about?gl=uk&hl=en
An unpretentious Mill Road institution offering classic fry-up fayre at reasonable prices.


B.L.D's
Seefud
A decade ago, in my Mill Road days, this was the only place to go on a Sunday with a hangover (often followed by a beer in the Beaconsfield). It's been frying bacon and eggs daily for years and frankly, it smells like you would imagine. But your nostrils adjust quickly and once we'd ordered it didn't bother me. The menu was okay and highly customisable, so I added black pudding to the traditional breakfast. The coffee's arrived swiftly with cutlery (+1 service) and the food followed pretty quickly after that. The filter coffee I ordered came with milk that I hadn't ordered. It was nice though and I should have guessed milk would be the default in this place though.
Troby's double espresso with hot water on the side

When the food arrived, I wish I'd added mushrooms instead of the black pudding though as the pudding was rubbish. The sausages (2) were of the lowest possible quality as well (I'd like to think 10% meat, or at least of animal origin, but that might be being optimistic). The rest was fine though and plenty of it. Nice to have proper cheap thick sliced white bread and butter as an option to toast, and a couple of eggs is always appreciated even if they were a touch over done. Other than that, nothing spectacular but nothing too bad either. Cheap and cheerful.
Troby's traditional with buttered toast

  • Food         3
  • Value        4 
  • Service      4
  • Ambience     2
  • Coffee       3
 
Troby
This is good value simple stuff - I had a few issues, one of which can be seen in the photo - bean contamination! Now, this is a contentious issue with fry up lovers, but I much prefer 'beans on the side'. My other issue was the pre-buttered toast. Had I been more with it, I could have easily avoided both these things by asking, so I can't complain. Not sure they would have accomodated brown toast mind you. The sausages however, were pretty bad, I guess I could have swapped off for more bacon. Anyway the service was good and friendly, the food was hot and fresh, and came quickly, and it's a great quantity of food you're getting for the £5:45, all well cooked.
A bonus was the coffee - a really good double expresso, with hot water on the side, hit the spot this morning, for the same price as the filter coffee.
  • Food          3
  • Value         5
  • Service       4
  • Ambience      2  
  • Coffee        4

Pastries
I went veggie which meant 2 circular hash browns and a reasonable pile of mushrooms with 2 veggie sausages - of the carrot 'n' peas rather than linda mcartney variety. Contrasted favourably with the evil-looking meaty ones. Pretty good for a cooked veggie breakfast. Nice coffee. Matt beans. Rubbish bread. If you were getting this for a few quid less you'd be very happy, but then, we are in Cambridge.
  • Food 3
  • Value 3       
  • Service 4
  • Ambience 2
  • Coffee 4

No comments:

Post a Comment