Friday 20 June 2014

Urban Shed

http://www.theurbanshed.com
A 'retro' cafe decked out in upcycled/retro furniture, some of which is for sale. With an old record player and boxes of LPs you can create you own ambience. They serve 'breakfast-in-a-box' which is good value for around a fiver.
Retro stylings

Breakfast-in-a-box!
Troby
I put on some Sinatra to calm things down after an altercation with a grumpy OAP on the pavement. I really like this cafe - It's quirky, but not annoying. They cook their own pasties, sausage rolls etc, and the coffee here is good. This is style, with substance.
The sausage was tasty, and the bacon was to my liking. The muffin was a bit crusty, but this often happens to me as I won't have butter. I'm also a fan of beans on the side. I'd give an overall 4/5 rating.

Seefud
People and places trying to be cool normally wind me up. But this place gets away with it somehow. Maybe it's because of the dirty bbq pork sausage roll/pasty hybrid I had the first time. Just my sort of food filth.

Today though, we sampled the breakfast-in-a-box. The sausage was perfect, the beans in a pot were good and the shrooms were good, if only just cooked. But the bacon, which probably started off life quite nice, was leathery and the muffin/egg combo, good in theory, was totally overcooked. The fact that it's served in a box, with a balsa wood knife and fork only served to highlight the problem when I broke my fork trying to cut the muffin, and almost went through the bottom of the box trying to saw through my bacon.

The chilled service and chat, the coffee, the music, the airport/airliner seats and the hostile grannies outside all contribute to making this a place I'll definitely return to. But I'll probably stick to the pasty-rolls more than the breakfast-in-a-box. 

Food          3 (breakfast-in-a-box) 4 (dirty pasty-rolls)
Value         4 
Service      5
Ambience 5
Coffee       5

No comments:

Post a Comment